Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Opportunism

In my fraternity, various student members hold positions that allow the house to function properly day-to-day. Both the Vice president and the treasurer have access to the bank account and funds for the entire house of over 100 members. An opportunistic chance for them would be to embezzle some of that money for their own use or investment. They could use it to buy personal goods or could have some conscience and invest it looking to reimburse what they took and keep their gains.

The 2 men appointed to these positions each year are usually of good character and morals. For that reason, I believe they have not and would not see their power as "opportunism". They respect the organization and everyone in it, and would never look to deface it.

I am in the same position as I am the treasurer of my hockey team. I oversee all inflows and outflows of money in our account. I feel that the idea of being a "good citizen" plays a large role in people not acting opportunistically. I wouldn't want any other member of the organization to misuse my contributions, so I wouldn't want to do that to someone close to me, or anyone for that matter.

I believe these explanations amount to being the same in that they all lead to not wanting to do wrong towards others, especially those that you have built relationships with. You want to build bridges and earn the respect and trust of other members of your organizations.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is still not sufficiently in depth. It is an improvement on the last one but I'd like to see more effort in the writing.

    With the examples you gave, one issue is how long it would take for the embezzlement to be detected. When there is more than one officer who has access to the accounts, one might guess that the other officer would observe this in short order. Then there is the question of what happens when that is discovered. Would the person's reputation be severely tarnished? If so, this could be an example of effective deterrence, which offers an alternative explanation.

    If, in contrast, one could get away with it but still one doesn't try it, then that surely would be an example of good citizenship. So you might have explored the possibility of getting away with it in your post.

    ReplyDelete