Sunday, October 18, 2015

Income Risk

On coming to the University I was in the division of general studies because I hoped to try to transfer into business or engineering, but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. After a couple semesters, my GPA wasn't ideal for getting into either program so I declared a major in economics with a business minor. I figured that for job eligibility this was the next best thing for me because I hope to work in finance. Every academic decision i have made has been with the intentions of getting the best job after college that i possibly can. 

The past 2 summers I spent my time taking 2 classes to get ahead on credit hours. This past summer i needed to take out a subsidized loan. I wasn't as concerned about the loan because it is subsidized, but once i graduate it will accumulate interest. With this in mind, I worked 40 hours a week all summer and opened up a savings account just in case i need it to pay off that loan upon graduation. After only 4 months i have a quarter of the funds to pay off the loan and still over a year and a half left in college. 

I have 2 older siblings who have entered the job field and made mistakes that I am aware of now. My older sister wasted money and loans by living in the city and going to a private college. My older brother took way too long to take his CPA and ended up just getting a job in sales. After seeing their experiences, I decided to try to go into finance and save as much money as I can starting now.

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised that you didn't discuss you plans or goals for this coming summer. Are you looking for an internship in finance? Or are you planning to work more at a job that won't be your future career but might be better for paying of the loans you talked about. I also wonder how you can work a full time job in the summer and take 2 courses on top of that and do well in those courses. Isn't it too much?

    ----

    This post is rather meager and it is late. So it looks like you dashed it off in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summer i am looking for an internship in financial planning, investment banking, or any other finance opportunities. The classes that i took this past summer were both online 8 week classes, but were both core classes for earning my business minor. I would work from 8am-6pm and then get an hour or two of homework done after. This summer I hope to be able to complete an accelerated 3 week public speaking class before starting an internship that I have applied for.

    ReplyDelete